Friday, March 9, 2007

application for John 1:43-51

As part of my sermon preparation I always go to SermonCentral.com and check out what others have done with the text. Actually what I really do is to see if they have any good illustrations. I tire of the ones I find at the various illustration sites because they are too trite. Sometimes I find personal illustrations in someone's sermon that really fit.

I typed in John 1:43-51 at SermonCentral.com and got about 100 sermons. I don't go through every one, I just read the short synopsis and then decide if it's worth viewing. I noticed something as I perused the titles and synopses, most the sermons were about evangelism. I figured that evangelism would be the application for this passage but I don't think that evangelism is the main point of the passage. It seems that John the Apostle is writing about Jesus and his entrance into our world. He gives several titles for Jesus - the Word, son of God, son of man, king of Israel, messiah, rabbi, lamb of God - all of which are designed to help us understand who Jesus is. This chapter is about the disciples coming to the realization that Jesus is the one they've been waiting for. He's here! Now that they know that what do they do? They go and get someone and bring them to Jesus. That is the application of the passage but not the main point of the passage. Jesus is the bridge for heaven and earth, and we on the earth should tell others about this bridge.

3 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

As for sermon illustrations. I'm not sure what I did for illustrations before I had children. They seem to keep me going on illustrations.

If you need me to lend you a couple of my boys for a week or two, just let me know. :)

Bob Bliss said...

Thanks but no thanks. I've raised my three and now it's their turn to raise kids. Lisa's doing a pretty good job right now. Once Loni and Trey get mates I'm sure they will do just fine as well. I'm into raising grandkids and that's a whole different ballgame.

Moses Aghamkar said...

Hello Pastor. I am Moses Aghamkar
Thanks for your nice blog and informative links.
It is blessing to have u as a pastor who has a heart for the WORD and a willingess to teach to many thousands.
God Bless
moses07@gmail.com